The latest HPDE with NASA Northeast last weekend completes our season of track driving and instruction for 2020. We try to summarize it as well as how the COVID 19 impacted racing season went. And Bill can’t wait to start planning 2021. It was a great weekend on track with fantastic weather, especially for mid-November in NJ. We came with three cars good to go. We left with zero. Seems to be a familiar refrain. The winter to do list gets longer.
On Dominating with Dawson, we cover driver communication going into and out of the car at the track.
We hope you enjoy this episode!
Vicki, Jennifer, Alan, and Bill
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training Podcast and
Garage Heroes In Training racing team drivers
Highlights from this episode include:
1) We cover our goals going into the event.
2) How was Bill’s new HPDE car on track for the first time. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again or the fourth time is the charm.
3) We also cover how Vicki and Jennifer applied the things they learned at the Lime Rock skid pad on the track.
4) Bill gets to see the Lightning track for the first time, even though he/we drove this track for several hours last year. Hood-Gate.
5) Jennifer got to drive with and review the data from the Garmin Catalyst for the first time.
6) Vicki also started reviewing and using the data from the Apex Pro for the first time ever.
7) Both Jennifer and Vicki got a lot faster throughout the weekend and seemed to have some of their best driving stints ever.
8) Bill went on track for the first time ever in the ND Miata.
9) What were the areas of greatest improvement for Jennifer and Vicki. Both made significant gains in both their lines and their car inputs. Also, now they were both able to take input from the data and video and apply it on their next stint.
10) Bill apparently can’t count turns past 5 and gets confused with turn 7. We will blame this on our post-race weekend hangover.
11) Bill really wants to put racing brake pads onto the M3 for the next track event. The all-season tires were not as big a deal as anticipated but will also need to be improved for our first event next season.
12) Vicki’s last stint led to an off on turn 5 that has caused some issue with her suspension. Exact point of failure is still TBD at this point.
13) We were able to get a lot of good video and hopefully good data. We cannot wait to analyze further and learn what we can work on and how we are improving.
14) Jennifer breaks the news that Ross Bentley is coming back as a guest for our 150th episode that is coming very soon!
15) Vicki went into her off track event late Sunday at turn 5.
16) Brief review of some of our off season work and planning for next season.