GHIT 0225: Samir Abid from Your Data Driven
Samir Abid has been a vehicle dynamics engineer for road and racing car suspensions for over ten years. He then created a sports engineering business to help pro and Olympic teams and athletes to optimize their performance. In addition, Samir is also competing himself in club level racing. So he understands the needs and dynamics of racing at all levels.
In an effort to help fellow amateur drivers, Samir created his podcast “Your Data Driven” and website. Both are aimed at sharing what he has learned on the top levels of sports. His focus is on improving your race car setup, collection, interpretation, and use of data, and your driving skills and approach. There is a ton of great information on each episode of the podcast. In addition, Samir also shares away a ton of useful tools on the Your Data Driven website, many for free. Some of our favorites are the “Complete Beginners Guide to Motorsports Data Analysis and his Ultimate Tire Guide. Samir is constantly generating new content and you can keep up with his work on his free weekly(ish) newsletter.
If you would like to help the podcast,
You can subscribe to our podcast on the podcast provider of your choice. This includes the Apple podcast app, Google music, Amazon, and YouTube etc. Also, if you could give our podcast a (5-star?) rating. Even better, a podcast review. We would greatly appreciate it and it would help us to grow the passion and sport of high performance driving.
For instance, leaving an Apple Podcast rating is very easy. If you go to your podcast library, under shows and click on the podcast. There you can leave a (5?) star rating and enter your review.
A link to the episode is: https://tinyurl.com/ThompsonPart1
We hope you enjoy this episode!
PS Please don’t forget that if you are looking to add an Apex Pro to your driving telemetry system, don’t forget to use our discount code for all Apex Pro systems you will receive a free Windshield Suction Cup Mount for the system, a savings of $40. Just enter the code “ghitlikesapex!” when you order. They are a great system and truly invaluable in safely increasing your speed on track and/or autocross etc. The recently released second generation systems and app increases the capability of the system greatly.
Vicki, Jennifer, Alan, and Bill
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training Podcast and Garage Heroes In Training racing team drivers
Highlights from this episode with Samir Abid include:
1) We cover a bit of his work on the team trying to break the 2 hour barrier in the marathon and how the treadmill can be used to eject most runners when set to this pace. A great video (with over 17 million views) on trying to keep the record marathon pace is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRYtn0j5ccAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRYtn0j5ccA
2) Samir’s experiences when first going to race on track. As always his “natural driving ability” was in for a shock once he competed with other racing drivers.
3) What information is fundamental to having good quality information including video and what data to review at the track between sessions when time is usually limited.
4) Setting goals vs analyzing results in racing and defining what a win is for each event you enter.
5) We go into the differences between our local (US) resources to learn at an HPDE vs the race training resources more common in the UK.
6) Samir is surprised at the concentration of cars that can be involved with budget endurance racing in many of the series in the US. Who knows, once the pandemic is behind us, Samir may be racing with us at an event. We hope.
7) Bill has a great question about racing car setup priorities but fails to actually ask it in a way that any human would understand. (Although Samir does provide an excellent answer to a horribly worded question) We will try again when we have Samir back on. lol.
8) The complexities involved with sharing a single car in our endurance racing series.
9) Several of the highlights and great information that Samir has had within his podcast to this point and several of the other resources he has available on his website.
https://www.yourdatadriven.com – For the newsletter
https://www.yourdatadriven.com/the-motorsports-playbook/ – For the book
https://www.yourdatadriven.com/your-data-driven-podcast/ – For the podcast