– Marlon Sumlin – Sundae Cup Class
GHIT 0333: One Lap of America 2022 – Marlon Sumlin – Sundae Cup Class
In the first of a series, we reflect back on the 2022 One Lap of America with Marlon Sumlin. Marlon completed the event in his Mazda 2 Sundae Cup car. This was Marlon’s first One Lap of America, and it will not be his last. We talk about Marlon’s impressions from his first OLoA, how it is to compete in a low horsepower, Sundae Cup car, and what he learned from his first event. As always, it seems like the first OLoA event leads to an annual habit and we cannot wait to try our first One Lap of America, hopefully next year. If you don’t yet know about the One Lap of America event, this is a great introduction, we hope.
If you would like to help grow our sport and this podcast:
You can subscribe to our podcast on the podcast provider of your choice. This includes the Apple podcast app, Google music, Amazon, and YouTube etc.
Also, if you could give our podcast a (5-star?) rating, that we would appreciate that very much. Even better would be a podcast review. This would help us to grow the passion and sport of high performance driving and we would appreciate it.
We hope you enjoy this episode!
PS If you are looking to stream or save your integrated telemetry/racing data with you video, Candelaria Racing Products Sentinel System may be the perfect solution for you. We are amid installing the system in two of our cars. If this sounds like something that may help you and your team, please use our discount code “GHIT“. This will give you a 10% discount to all our listeners during the checkout process at https://candelaria-racing.com/
PS2 Please do not forget that if you are looking to add an Apex Pro to your driving telemetry system, do not forget to use our discount code for all Apex Pro systems you will receive a free Windshield Suction Cup Mount, a savings of $40. Just enter the code “ghitlikesapex!” when you order from https://apextrackcoach.com/
Vicki, Jennifer, Ben, Alan, and Bill
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training Podcast and Garage Heroes In Training racing team drivers
Highlights for this episode include:
1) What is the One Lap of America
2) How it is to participate in the OLoA for the fist time and in the new to this year Sundae Cup category.
3) How everyone on the OLoA work together to support the other entrants and fight against the weather and any mechanical issues that may arise during the week.
4) Bill makes a joke that Vicki liked. Time to play the lottery.
5) Track reviews and what Marlon thought of the new to him tracks for the event.
6) Marlon’s future as a packer and a mover and some great stories from the 2022 event.
7) How to make a Mazda 2 sound like a Huey Helicopter.
8) We try to find out how Becky and Scott were able to come in second overall on the skid pad.
9) How Marlon and the One Lap of America teams helped support FORCE and work against cancer, as well as a ton of other charities for the event.
10) We start planning the 2023 OLoA.
11) We start to talk a bit about the NASA Great Lakes TREC endurance racing series that we cannot wait to try for the first time and what prep is needed for the car.
For more information about FORCE or to make a charitable contribution: https://www.facingourrisk.org/