Some of you following along at home on our trials and tribulations in going from a true zero talent and zero knowledge amateur endurance racing team towards our eventual goal of living up to the first part of our name may have noticed we had a significant casualty to our team. The original car we started with oh so long ago (ok, our first race was only last May) has had a heart attack and it may not be able to be resuscitated. We are now faced with a few alternatives that we must choose from. so what are our new car solutions?
Car Options Moving Forward
First, we can repair the Capri and start racing it again. Advantages of this would include:
- Probably the lowest cost
- Not a lot of labor
- Capri drives and handles pretty
- Very communicative to the driver
- Remains fairly stock
- Not sure that is the cam shaft is all we broke
- Parts are getting harder and harder to find
- Drive train weak spot would still remain the 4-speed transmission, especially third gear
- Car still could use another 50 or so horsepower to be pretty special
Or we could do an engine and transmission (drive train) swap.
Advantages would include:
- Stronger engine and transmission possible
- Reduced cost and better availability of spare parts
- More power possible
Disadvantages would be:
- Not stock, likely to be a Frankenstein build
- Team mechanical skill and are we up to it
- May be higher cost, depends on the cost of the donor parts
The only other choice would be to put the Capri out to pasture and get another car.
While we may end up changing the theme, we all tend to really like the car and would really like to keep it going and racing. The Capri also seems to be a favorite amongst the paddock crowd. Maybe they like it or maybe they want us to keep it racing so they don’t have to worry about us beating them? Lol.
So here we are. What should we do? If we do the swap, what should we use? Or should we let it go and get another car to race? Are than any other options? Please chime in and let us know what you think.
PS we need to make a decision pretty quickly as we plan on racing in the 24 Hours of Lemons Halloweeen Fest race in New Hampshire in the mid -October (~5 weeks from now)
We will report back in on our progress and decision in the next week or less. Tune in. Same bat time. Same bat channel.
Enjoy the Ride!