Jim “Daddy Earth” Webb, Pat “Richard Freelane” McHugh take over another episode of the podcast (lol), but it was for a great cause and contribution to our society during this COVID 19 pandemic. Jim and Pat have been working with James Ballenger from Ballenger Motorsports to raise funds and to fabricate and distribute face masks, face shields, and all kinds of assorted PPE for the Richmond region and anyone in need across the country. Hopefully, you can add to the relief effort in some small way. To bring it back to racing, we did get into a good discussion on the details and decisions related to converting your car from an OEM fuel system to using a fuel cell. This is a truly inspiring story of what a bunch of race drivers and James Ballenger’s team and Ballenger Motorsports were able to accomplish in a short amount of time.
As we always say, racers are some of the best and most generous people we have met. This crisis has still not passed, so if you or anyone can help, it could literally be lifesaving and I am also sure we would like to be in a better position if there is ever a bounce back in the infection rate. It took a bit to get the editing done, but the message and need remains the same. Even if you can’t be of assistance in fabricating or assembly, there is always something that needs to be done that would assist.
The Dominating with Dawson segment deals with what to do and what not to do when going on track for the first time.
We hope you enjoy the episode!
Bill, Vicki, Jennifer, and Alan
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training podcast and team members in the GHiT Immature Endurance Racing Team
Highlights from the episode include:
1) Working to make a difference in trying to contain and protect people from the COVID 19 virus
2) Some of the unexpected challenges of helping deliver PPE to those in need
3) How even little steps are significant, especially if we compound upon each other
4) Karen makes an appearance for the first time on the podcast, lol.
5) You can learn more at [email protected] or contact them through email
6) The parallels between this program and what happens in an endurance race are amazing.
7) This effort will continue into the future as the economy starts to resume and a larger population of people can use shields and masks.
8) If you want to donate to the effort, you can go to GoFundMe.com under Virginia Needs PPE
9) Bill volunteers to let James and the team pass us during our next race. It is the least we can do, lol.
10) Even the next generation of Race Bar, Oliver, comes in for a brief podcast experience.
11) A short Race Bars race car fleet review and its recent new addition with a super-secret theme
12) Fuel cell discussion on details, locations, options, and aspects of the conversion and installation including some of the best options for venting the fuel cell.
13) Ben is still sorting his nuts and bolts. We hope he finished soon.
14) Jim’s latest deep dive is in the area of fuel discriminator valves. Because Race Car.
15) Rob Krider’s magnetic towels for catching fuel as you fill gets another shout out.
16) Some good discussion points on the morals of resuming racing events at this point.