Blake Field and Ben Dawson have raced many times with each other and now are on our podcast together. While it started off as if another Race Bar takeover, we actually did provide several useful pieces of information and tips that will help you and your team at and on the track. That is not to say the episode is without our usual banter and attempts at humor, but there may be a nugget or two in this one. Also, Ben pulls double duty on this episode and we discuss general guidelines for tire alignment for track use on front wheel, four wheel and rear wheel drive cars, including a discussion on tire pressure and temperature measurement and use to refine your carâs set up.
We hope you enjoy the episode!
Bill, Vicki, Jennifer, and Alan
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training podcast
and team members in the GHiT
Immature Endurance Racing Team
Highlights from the episode include:
1) Alan canât tell time and Bill blows the intro and Ben has questions for Alan that will go unanswered (for this episode).
2) Blake reveals his predilection for racing in cars that are embarrassing to be passed by.
3) Ben admits that he far outkicked his coverage with his beautiful bride. Bill and Alan both agree with and have followed Ben with this philosophy.
4) Ben endorses i-Racing and sim racing as a path to improve your driving skills, just not in the way he did it.
5) Blake illustrates the advantages of pre-race practice, especially at the track on Friday if possible.
6) John Pagel gets along and enthusiastic shout out for all he has done to help us and everyone with their safety.
7) Blake surprises us with his team racing another Chevy S-10. Vickiâs eyes got really, really wide when he mentioned it. Blake also gave a quick run through on several easy and effective upgrades to it.
8) We discuss our plans and how many cars we may bring to the Lucky Dog race on the Charlotte Roval.
9) We finally have a brief discussion on the Bondurant High Performance Driving School. Long overdue.
10) A very good discussion of what you can learn from a large, lemons-type field, with the widely varied driver skill and experience of the field, and how you should approach each passing opportunity. Each field and each series, and even each race, has a different set of challenges, each of which can help you grow as a driver.
11) Blake and Ben discuss some of the off-track actions, including before going to the track, that can really help improve your performance on the track. It sounds much less impactful than it really turns out to be, so please donât disregard these activities.
12) We go over some of the ideas and checklists that we use. The link to our updated checklist if below if you want to review or use or better, incorporate into your own.
13) Candle Wax dripping? Check. Covered it. Lol.
14)Â Mark Blundellâs qualifying effort at Le Mans.Â Video link below
15)Â We continue to plan our Lucky Dog Series race at the Charlotte Roval.Â Two cars are in, three is possible.Â TBD.