GHIT Podcast Episode #195 with our guest Elizabeth Jolly
We initially met Elizabeth Jolly at our second ever race at the 2018 24 Hours of Lemons race in Thompson CT. We then listened to her on the first few Shifting Points podcast. Then we met her at our recent skid pad and autocross event at Lime Rock Park with the SCDA group. It was at this point, we realized that these three ladies were all the same person. We could say we were overwhelmed at our second race; we could also say that we didn’t recognize her since she was in her “Flo” costume, but it was great to meet her in person for the second time. On this episode, we catch up with Elizabeth on her thoughts about the SCDA event, her new E30 race car and then we talk through how to learn to work on a car from a starting point of near zero skills, experience, and tools. Both Elizabeth and Vicki have both progressed far in the past few years and maybe someday Bill will as well. Lol.
On this episode’s Dominating with Dawson, we
go into Ben’s extensive karting experience and discuss the various types of karts and kart racing available. Karting can definitely help your driving and racing, most things translate, and it is a great way to practice for relatively low cost. We do try to go into the parts of karting that translate and what doesn’t translate directly due to the difference in car geometry and suspension. While Ben is pulled away for his daddy duties, we take a slight detour into cake baking and decorating from our resident cake decorating expert, Miss Jen. Our first ever partial WOOT DwD episode. Even Ben came to the table with a Coca Cola cake, recipe tbd, lol.
You can subscribe to our podcast on the podcast provider of your choice, including the Apple podcast app, Google music, Amazon, and YouTube etc.
Also, if you could give our podcast a (5-star?) rating or even better, a podcast review, we would greatly appreciate it and it would help us to grow the passion and sport of high performance driving.
For instance, leaving an Apple Podcast rating is very easy. If you go to your podcast library, under shows and click on the podcast you can leave a (5?) star rating and enter your review.
A link to the episode is: https://tinyurl.com/ElizabethJolly
We hope you enjoy this episode!
PS Please don’t forget that if you are looking to add an Apex Pro to your driving telemetry system, don’t forget to use our discount code for all Apex Pro systems you will receive a free Windshield Suction Cup Mount for the system, a savings of $40. Just enter the code “ghitlikesapex!” when you order. We have two systems for our team and Bill is looking to add a third for this season, pending CFO approval from Vicki. They are a great system and truly invaluable in safely increasing your speed on track and/or autocross etc.
Vicki, Jennifer, Alan, and Bill
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training Podcast and Garage Heroes In Training racing team drivers
Highlights from this episode include:
1) Bill herds/hosts this episode. Vicki and Jen, as always, are so excited to have a fellow lady racing driver.
2) Elizabeth Jolly races autocross and endurance racing and almost all other forms of driving she can try. She started with a quick purchase of a 944 that then several other soon to be race cars. Her latest purchase is her new BMW E30 prepped race car. It even has a bit of history and we are sure Elizabeth will add to it as well.
3) Elizabeth and Jen commiserate about the wonderful weather at their first Lemons event. It was a downpour and the humidity hit a point where nearly all glass surfaces fogged making visibility even worse. We then go into the importance of seating position and the effect it can have on the driver’s ability to see as well.
4) Bill starts a plan. Nothing good can come of this. It’s looking like a girls race weekend is upcoming. Bill is bringing palm fronds and a butler outfit for the ladies.
5) The discussion on beginning to learn about working on cars from scratch begins around 28:30 or so. Some great information that should help others go from garage zero to Garage Hero. See what we did there, lol. It was too easy to resist.
6) To the surprise of no one, Vicki relates the car to her past arts and crafts projects. The analogy does hold some merit from a material perspective. Elizabeth has even gone into the area of the electrical system and wiring of her 944’s.
7) The ladies provide a ton of tips and tricks that they have learned along the way. Some are very basic, but each one has been found to help us out.
8) Two words: parts car. (Does this mean Bill can buy another car? Sounds like it to him.)
9) Jen and Bill are next in line on learning to work on the race cars.
10) Vicki almost blows the super secret theme that we were working on and debuted at the Lemons race last weekend at PittRace. Photos
11) We then go into the favorite tools and tool highlights that Elizabeth and Vicki have at this point.