AKA “TomO” from TOMO Racing and ASM
GHIT 0230: Tom O’Gorman AKA TomO from TOMO Racing and ASM
Tom O’Gorman is currently racing the Grid Life GLTC series with ASM and has competed and won at some of the highest levels as a professional driver for several teams. He is also a sought after racing coach for drivers at all levels. We talk with him about his entire career, remaining goals, as well as his driver coaching. Far be it from us to not ask him about a few coaching questions.
You can subscribe to our podcast on the podcast provider of your choice, including the Apple podcast app, Google music, Amazon, and YouTube etc. Also, if you could give our podcast a (5-star?) rating or even better, a podcast review, we would greatly appreciate it and it would help us to grow the passion and sport of high performance driving.
For instance, leaving an Apple Podcast rating is very easy. If you go to your podcast library, under shows and click on the podcast you can leave a (5?) star rating and enter your review.
If you would like to help the podcast,
You can subscribe to our podcast on the podcast provider of your choice. This includes the Apple podcast app, Google music, Amazon, and YouTube etc. Also, if you could give our podcast a (5-star?) rating. Even better, a podcast review. We would greatly appreciate it and it would help us to grow the passion and sport of high performance driving.
For instance, leaving an Apple Podcast rating is very easy. If you go to your podcast library, under shows and click on the podcast. There you can leave a (5?) star rating and enter your review.
We hope you enjoy this episode!
PS Please don’t forget that if you are looking to add an Apex Pro to your driving telemetry system, don’t forget to use our discount code for all Apex Pro systems you will receive a free Windshield Suction Cup Mount for the system, a savings of $40. Just enter the code “ghitlikesapex!” when you order. They are a great system and truly invaluable in safely increasing your speed on track and/or autocross etc. The recently released second generation systems and app increases the capability of the system greatly.
Vicki, Jennifer, Alan, and Bill
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training Podcast and Garage Heroes In Training racing team drivers
Highlights from this Tom O’Gorman episode include:
1) How he has grown as a driver by being able to experience a wide variety of cars quickly from a very young age when he was autocrossing. This cross training has led to his ability to adapt to cars very quickly and race in all style cars as needed.
2) We take a moment to ask Tom which car he hasn’t driven in (yet) that he would like to drive a race in at least once. We think Adam may have to have a driver shuffle event to complement his field invert race, lol.
3) It is amazing how early and deeply auto racing “drove” within Tom when he discovered some of the early console driving games.
4) We firmly believe that if Tom wins both autocross events in the NSX, he should be allowed to keep the NSX. This could be another example of why we have no sponsors, lol.
5) Tom even shared a great example of how even for a driver at his level that some weekends just don’t go as well as we would wish and how Covid has impacted his racing. We also go into his GLTC series racing history and how the Grid Life series has grown and continues to grow. It is like a spec series in the closeness of the racing without a single car design.
6) We poke Tom for some Mid Ohio rain tips. He was nice enough to give a few of the things he has learned at his home track. Vicki is insistent wet Mid Ohio is like lava. Bill is starting to piece that together.
7) The potential of the use of a 200 tread wear tire in GLTC and the potential advantages and disadvantages of a potential switch.
8) Tom also discussed the Grid Life Sundae Cup series.
9) We also go into coaching drivers at all levels, the use of in car coaching, as well as video, data, and even coach driving demonstration to help every level driver improve.
10) Pushing limits and breaking though limits comes up again. Hypothetically, lol.