Our latest Podcast, episode GHIT 0143: Using Video Coaching with Dion von Moltke from Racers360 is out on all podcast services
After a recent HPDE event with NASA Great Lakes at the Autobahn Country Club near Chicago, Bill sent in some video of a representative lap to Racers360 to try their video coaching and see what he could work on to improve. Dion von Moltke, from Racers360 and a podcast guest from episode #92, evaluated one of Billâs laps and who knew, it wasn’t all that bad. We thought it would be a great discussion of the use of video and the added benefit of having a professional driver and coach review the video for you. Bill learned a great deal and every driver will. This is especially valuable to the two ends of the learning curve. The newer drivers will start off breaking any bad habits and the higher level drivers will finally have someone qualified, capable, and available who could help them refine the last few items to help shave the final few tenths to get closer to their potential. The cost (~$100) makes this an exceptional value to all drivers looking to improve. Ben and friends discuss the concept of weight transfer during the Dominating with Dawson segment. Whether conscious or subconscious, it is an underlying fundamental to high performance driving and managing this is key to getting the most you can out of a car and reducing lap times.
You can email Dion directly at [email protected]
And follow him on Instagram at or twitter @Dionvmr
We hope you enjoy this episode!
Vicki, Jennifer, Alan, and Bill
Hosts of the Garage Heroes In Training Podcast and
Garage Heroes In Training racing team drivers
Highlights from this episode include:
The raw lap video a bit after 11:30 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Am-epQIjT4&t=758s
A 5-minute snippet of Dionâs review of Billâs lap can be seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2-NzD3o4Y
Eric Meyer from NASA Great Lakes also discussed this lap from a data analysis perspective here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtlsfwbSso
1) We review some of Dionâs racing accomplishments including his time as an IMSA driver, winning the 24 hours of Daytona and the 24 hours of Sebring twice and his current work with Racers360 that is aimed at all levels of amateur racing of cars, motorcycles, go karts, etc.
2) A discussion of NJMPâs Lightning track and its (obvious) nickname. Just look at the track map.
3) The advantages of personalized coaching and the feedback opportunities it opens up the coach and the driver.
4) Dion asks Bill to self-asses his driving strengths and weaknesses. This discussion was very short and very long, respectively.
5) The coaching consisted of not only the âwhatâ, but the âwhyâ as well as an estimate of the potential impact on lap times and safety that area involved.
6) A big discussion of Turn 9 and Turn 10 at Autobahn that applies to several other turn complexes that lead onto long straights where sometimes you sacrifice a turn and sometimes it is not the best choice. It appears that as in life, nothing is 100% all the time.
7) Turn 1 at Autobahn is a high speed right hand turn that Dion went into in general and also used as an example of how best to break down a turn (backwards) to determine what to do for a specific turn, especially if you are unfamiliar with the track or turn.
8) To the surprise of absolutely no one, we also discussed vision and the need to relax and look very âlongâ and âwideâ with good scanning practices.
9) Dion is a fan of trying to work on one or two things at a time and not overwhelming the driver while learning.
10) Bill gives a brief description of the Garmin Catalyst and how it worked for him at Autobahn during his first weekend with the unit.
11) Dion gets (unfairly) put on the spot with looking at Jenniferâs crash at the Charlotte Roval. He agreed that is looks like a catch done well and a recovery not quite quick enough. Dion also recalls a time where he was able to catch a similar incident and save the car (with a bit of luck). It can be found at about 40-45 seconds into the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPq5K1giAC8
12) Racers in training weight loss challenge is entered. Please let us know if you want to participate. Dion may even help despite not needing to lose any weight personally.
13) Bill looks to scoop up a few brownie points when the opportunity arises.
14) Some of the takeaways and how they apply to all laps and all tracks. Many are going to be incorporated into his practice session at the track and on the sim.
15) Bill vents his standard color matching issues. Still no traction received.
16) Track Addict may be worth some investigation and if your budget allows perhaps an AIM SmartyCam.
17) Bill drags Dion into his current level of overthinking the geometry of a turn.
18) Another vote for the Senna documentary. Maybe Vicki will finally watch it. It is really fantastic, even if you arenât a race driver.
19) Post credits discussion of Mid-Ohio, with and without the chicane before the keyhole, and some volleyball discussion.